torrie's travels


Relaxation and Pampering December 11, 2014

Filed under: Uncategorized — Torrie Schneider @ 1:08 pm

Today is my last day. Holy cow. It has gone by so fast! I decided for these last three nights I was going to spoil myself and get a nice hotel and then spend today relaxing and getting ready to come home. So that’s what I did! Unfortunately, even at fancy hotels, fires break out. At 4:30am. Apparently.

Even though I am in one of the most comfortable beds of the trip, I haven’t slept well the last two nights. I think it’s everything running through my mind about what I have to do when I get home. But I finally fell asleep around 3:30am last night, only to be woken by the most obnoxious sound ever. It sounded like it was coming from my phone or tablet, which were on the bedside table. But I couldn’t figure out how to make them quiet, so I almost sat on the tablet, thinking I was going to wake up the entire hotel. Then it stopped. It was bizarre. I was so freaked out. So I went back to bed and started thinking maybe it was the phone, which was supposed to be on the bedside table, but I set it on the floor. Maybe it was a wake-up call that was sent to the wrong room. I didn’t know and right as I was about to fall back asleep, it started again. Yup, fire alarm. A fire broke out in the kitchen and so the hotel was evacuated. As we all got downstairs the night receptionist told us the fire was contained or something, but there was a lot of smoke. So we had to wait until the firemen gave the all clear.

I finally fell back asleep around 5:30am, only to get up at 9am to start my relaxation day. Wait, that doesn’t sound right! The spa in the hotel was booked up today, so I had to take the appts where they had them, which meant my full-body massage at 10:30am. And that meant if I wanted to use the Thermal Suite, I had to get there before my appt. I used the “Vitality Pool”, which was warm and had three areas of jets. One was a stand-up thing, where you had a half-circle “railing” and the jets came out behind and under you. But that was cold water. Then there were “swan heads”, which basically looked like ginormous kitchen faucets, but I didn’t need a shower. So I hung out on the third one. These were essentially reclining “chairs” of metal rods that had jets coming out. After that I laid on the “Tepidariums” or something. Tiled, ergonomic beds that heat up. That was nice. Then I went to the relaxation room until my therapist called me.

I hadn’t realized it was going to be a full-body massage, I thought it was just a personalized one where I told her what to focus on. I do not like massages because I carry all of my stress in my neck and shoulders and there are so many knots it’s painful to touch. But after carrying 50lbs on my back for 90 days, it was necessary. I told her ahead of time that it was going to be painful. Holy cow. I was screaming silent screams, it was so bad. And tensing up the rest of my body. So painful. I also asked her to focus on my poor feet. With all of the walking I did on this trip, my feet have been bruised and battered. In addition to all of the blisters and calluses, I got a stress fracture on the top of one foot, which radiated pain into the arch of my foot and in the mornings (or to a lesser degree just after sitting down for lunch or a break) it was incredibly painful to stand up or walk. I would immediately endure shooting pains in my feet and would need to walk around awhile before the pain went away and I could walk normally. So they needed some TLC as well! My therapist had the understatement of the day when she was finished: “You were right, you have a fair bit of tension in your shoulders.” Ha!

After the massage, I had a break between sessions when I ordered a chicken Caesar salad and DC from room service. I was supposed to take a hot, hot bath (therapists’ orders), but I needed to eat lunch, seeing as though I hadn’t had breakfast, before my pedicure. I have never had a pedicure before. I will paint my own toenails, but I do not like other people touching my feet. Gross. But they needed it. And it wasn’t as bad as I had expected. She sanded down my feet (that sounds wrong, sanded?, but I don’t know how else to say it), and I’m not kidding. With all of the blisters and calluses, she had her work cut out for her. But they are so much better now! She even pumiced my toes. And now I have a lovely plum color on them. They are definitely happier!

I was planning on not leaving the hotel today, but was running out of cough drops and needed some DC and cider. (I usually get sick right at the beginning of a trip, but that didn’t happen this time. I guess it’s right at the end. Could be worse.) There was a Tesco like 1km away, so I thought, no biggie. The traffic was horrendous and the stoplight situations here are stupid. So it took an hour to go there and back. But then I got back and took that hot, hot bath and when I was done I ordered pizza and popped in Love/Hate Season 5. I chose this hotel over other fancy hotels because it advertised DVD players! I am obsessed with this Irish show and the final season just ended over here, so I got the DVD when I was in Dublin last week. (Their DVDs come out immediately, like the day after the season finale…that would be nice.) So I started watching, ate some pizza, drank some cider, and I’m getting back to it after I post this. I will be getting up early to drive to Dublin, drop off the car, and get on the plane. Crazy!


One Response to “Relaxation and Pampering”

  1. ac Says:

    Safe travels to you T. Your time everywhere but esp Ireland sounds amazing!! Anna C

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s